Job Title: Organic Farming Consultant/Agronomist
TeamAg is a group of passionate and skilled agricultural engineers and consultants working to improve the success of farms across the Mid-Atlantic region and ensure that local agricultural landscapes are economically and environmentally viable for generations to come.
The individual will be responsible for meeting with clients who are certified organic producers or seeking to become organic producers. The consultant will work with farmers to guide the development of certified organic systems and advise on commercial organic crop management crop. They should have a working knowledge of integrated farming systems crops (corn, soybeans, small grains, forages, produce, horticultural crops, livestock, poultry), IPM, organic inputs, and certification requirements.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to experienced farmers to successfully transition to certified organic production.
- Guide new or beginning farmers in establishing and managing organic farms.
- Conduct in-season crop scouting; collect and interpret soil and tissue tests.
- Provide scientifically sound and practical recommendations regarding crop rotation (including cover crops), soils, tillage, fertility, pests, weed and disease management, input sourcing, grazing, and livestock production.
- Assist farmers in developing profitable production systems based on Organic System Plans that comply with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) certification standards.
- Guide farmers through the organic certification process and respond to questions about organic production practices, certified organic markets, and the organic industry.
- Assist farmers in preparing for organic inspections, including necessary documentation.
- Help farms problem solve and prevent problems.
Qualifications, Education and/or Experience:
Education and Experience
- Agriculture-related degree (sustainability, agronomy, horticulture, soils, animal science) or
- 10 + years of field experience in organic production agriculture.
- Certified Crop Advisor or Certified Professional Agronomist.
- Soil Health Conservation certification or Permaculture certification.
- Familiarity with diversified, organic, permaculture, agroforestry, and regenerative farming.
Skills and Competencies:
- Passion for improving farming’s environmental and economic aspects.
- Ability to work and learn independently and problem-solve.
- Ability to communicate detailed concepts to farmers.
- Excellent teamwork and communication.
- Some travel and the ability to perform fieldwork in adverse weather.
- Able to carry equipment up to 25 lbs.
Working at TeamAg:
- Create Impact: TeamAg is recognized by both farmers and professional conservation organizations as a regional leader in providing quality agricultural services, which we’ve done for the past twenty years. Our engineers design systems that help farms work better for farmers, improve water quality, and minimize greenhouse gas emissions. From food security, to wildlife habitat, to extreme weather conditions, to stable communities, every small farm has a role to play. Join our team to help ensure that small-scale agriculture continues to be a viable cornerstone in our region.
- Enjoy our Work Flexibility: A common motto at TeamAg is: “Family First.” While we prioritize time in the office to work collaboratively, you’ll have the opportunity to set a schedule that works best for you. As a small company, we respect every individual’s need to find an appropriate work/life balance.
- Work on Diverse Projects: TeamAg supports a wide array of farm sizes and project types, keeping work fresh. You’ll have the opportunity to work closely with farmers and other conservation professionals to develop designs that meet farmers’ needs. In addition to desk-based design time, you’ll have the opportunity to break up your routine by stretching your legs in the field. There’s also great satisfaction in seeing a job well done; from breaking ground to closing out (a true barn raising!).
- Grow Your Skills: In addition to encouragement and support for continuing education and degree programs, you’ll learn a lot by working closely with an experienced and knowledgeable team. We are called TeamAg for a reason! You’ll get to work closely with seasoned professionals with backgrounds in agricultural planning, environmental resource management, agronomy, and regenerative agriculture, to develop comprehensive solutions that work for the farmer.
- Enjoy Comprehensive Benefits: TeamAg provides medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, paid leave, and matched retirement. We also offer a fleet of vehicles for fieldwork.
- Join a Fun, Supportive Community: We work hard, but have fun too! Summer barbeques, holiday parties, and regular monthly team lunches are great ways to build friendships and improve your lawn game skills.
TeamAg is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering competitive salaries and benefits. Learn more about our team and our work at www.teamaginc.com. Please send resumes to email@example.com.
120 Lake Street
Ephrata, PA 17522